- Outdoor Recreation Policy
ODR will be taking the following precautions to ensure that the customers and employee's safety is maintained:
- Moving to an appointment based pickup and return
- Utilizing curb side pickup and returns
- Designated 6 ft. spaces on the floors (follow signage)
- Offering sanitizing spray for customers
- Staff will be using appropriate PPE
- Rental equipment will be sanitized before being placed outside for customer pickup
- Rental equipment will be sanitized outside upon being returned
Whether you're an avid outdoors lover, complete novice, or somewhere in between, the Outdoor Recreation Center (ODR) is the place to be. We offer guided trips, equipment for check-out, adventure programs, clinics and training, Warrior Adventure Quest, and Women in the Wilderness Trips, and indoor climbing wall, and more!
To ensure optimum soldier and family customer service, reservations are required a minimum of 2 days in advance for equipment. For all motorized water craft and pull behind campers, reservations must be made a minimum of 7 days in advance.
In addition to equipment rental, we offer a large RV lot to store your RVs, boats and trailers of any size and up to 45ft.
- FREE Activities Offered at Outdoor Recreation
ODR's 18-hole Disc Golf is located within Glass Park. Tee box 1 is across located near Outdoor Recreation, and across the street from Moose Loop RV Camp Grounds. This course takes you throughout Glass Park giving you the opportunity to see all that Glass Park and ODR has to offer.
HIKING AND TREKKING
These trails around on the edge of Glass Park and straddling along the Chena River do not require signup.
What to wear (recommended):
Hiking shoes or sneakers, light hiking socks, short sleeves and shorts, or choose breathable, light-weight long sleeves and pants if you're worried about bugs or sun exposure. Hat, wind proof outer layer and sunglasses.
What to bring (recommended):
Backpack, sunscreen, water bottle, face mask, snacks (banana, apple, beef jerky or trail mix), phone for pictures.
During the winter these trails become great areas for cross country skiing.
- Outdoor Recreation Rental Policies
*All prices are subject to change at any time
- Must be 18 years of age with a valid DoD ID
- Equipment fees and Deposits must be paid in full at the time of reservation
- Deposits must be made by credit or debit cards only
- Equipment rentals can be picked up on Monday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday between 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Equipment returns will be accepted between 3 - 5 p.m. Monday, Thursday through Sunday
- Cancellations less than 48 hours to pick-up-date will be charge a one-day rental fee
- No cancellations or refunds for reservations on Federal Holidays
- No refunds given for equipment unused or turned in early
- Fees still apply on ODRs closure dates
- ODR staff is not responsible to load or unload equipment
- Late equipment will be charged the daily rental fee for each day until the equipment is returned
- Reservations are on a first come first serve basis not to exceed 30 days in advance
- Camping Gear / Grills / Fishing Gear
Additional Days Rate
N/A Fishing Gear Daily Rate Additional Days Rate Fly rod and reel $10 $5 Trout rod and reel $10 $5 Salmon rod and reel $15 $5 Waders $30 $10 Canopies Daily Rate Additional Days Rate EZ-Up 10x10 $25 N/A Screenhouse $35 N/A GRILLS (PROPANE NOT INCLUDED) Daily Price Charcoal Grill $40 Propane Grill $55
- Recreation Equipment and Outdoor Games
Recreational Equipment Daily Price Additional Days Rate Standup paddle board $35 N/A Water Skis $5 $2 Knee / Wake Board $5 $2 Mountain Bike $20 N/A Deluxe Mountain Bike $30 N/A Bike Kiddy Trailer $10 $5 Gold Pan $3 $1 Sluice Box $5 $2 Bike Helmet $3 $1 ATV Helmet $5 $3 Log Splitter $60 N/A Generator 2000 Watts $40 N/A Picnic / Folding Table $7 $3 Folding Chair $7 $3 Life Jacket $3 $1 One up 450 ATV $95 N/A Bounce House (XL) $100 N/A Bounce House $90 N/A Santa Suit $30 N/A Outdoor Games Daily Rate Additional Days Rate Volleyball Set $7 $3 Volleyball Poles $5 $2 Horseshoe Set $5 $2 Disc Golf Set $5 $2 Disc Golf Basket $15 N/A Cornhole Game $10 $5 Tug-O-War Rope $5 $2 Ladder Ball $5 $2
- Boats / Trailers / Car Haulers / Camping Trailers
*All prices are subject to change at any time.
- Vehicle inspection is required every year per vehicle, this must be done prior to reservations by calling 361-6350 for an appointment
- No cancellations or refunds for reservations on Federal Holidays
Daily Price 35HP Jetboat $80 Under 90HP Jetboat $95 150HP Jetboat $105 225HP Jetboat $120 Lake Boats (Props) Daily Price 18' Ski Boat $150 16' 60 HP Lake Boat $95 Non-Motorized Boats Daily Price Canoe/Scanoe $35 Single Kayak $30 2-Person Inflatable Kayak $40 12' Jon Boat $35 14' Joe Boat $45 14' Raft $65 16' Raft $75 Oar Frame $25 Outboard Motors (Props) Daily Price 8 HP and under $25 15 HP $30 Trailers (Requires 2 5/16" Ball) Daily Price Canoe Trailer $40 2-place Trailer $45 4-place Trailer $60 Car Hauler $50 Meat Wagon $40 9K Utility Trailer $65 3K Utility Trailer $55
(Propane not included)
Daily Price 16' Nash Trailer $75 19' Jayco Trailer $100 23' Jayco Trailer $115
- Guided Adventures & Activities
Outdoor Recreation offers trips to meet the needs and interest for a wide range of people in our community. Ice climbing, white water rafting, overnight hiking, snowmachining, fishing, and rock climbing are just a few of the things that we know how to do best, and want to share with you!
- Safety Certifications (ATV, Boater, and Snowmachine)
A large part of adventuring in Alaska's great outdoors is having fun, but it all starts with being safe. The Outdoor Recreation Center offers safety courses for ATV use, boating, and snowmachining.
In order to participate in ATV trips or to check-out a watercraft or snowmachine, you must obtain certification. Once you have finished watching the video portion included below, complete a knowledge test in-person at the Outdoor Recreation Center in order to obtain your certification.
1. Take the ATV Safety e-Course
2. Schedule an appointment with the Fort Wainwright Outdoor Recreation Center for the ATV Riders Course
3. Obtain ATV Safety Card
Additional guidance available
1. Take the Boater Safety e-course
2. Visit the Outdoor Recreation Center to test your knowledge on Boater Safety
3. Obtain Boater Safety Certification
Snowmachine Safety Certification
1. Take the Snowmachine Safety e-course
2. Schedule an appointment with the Outdoor Recreation Center for the Snowmachine Riders Course
3. Obtain Snowmachine Safety Card
Additional guidance available
- Indoor Climbing Wall
Join the ODR staff for one of our Belay Certification Clinics to get you on the wall and climbing. The climbing wall is available by appointment and walk-in (permitting staff allocation), and is geared towards climbers of different skill levels. Wall rental is available for groups and parties, and we can even do PT sessions for our Active Duty Soldiers. Please check out our calendar for upcoming classes and clinics.
Daily Price List Cost Youth under 14 years old Please call ODR for pricing 14 years old and older $7/ per person with belay certification 14 years and older $14/per person without belay certification Event/Activity Cost
Climbing Wall Belay Class, every Saturday, 12 p.m. & 4 p.m.
Must be 14 years old or older to become certified.
Please call ODR for pricing and availability
Climbing Wall Birthday Parties Please call ODR for pricing and availability
- RV and Tent Camping sites
Fort Wainwright hosts two campgrounds, Glass Park RV Campground and Chena Cove Campground, both located in picturesque settings adjacent to the Chena River. Interior Alaska's camping season runs from May through September, and is dependent on weather conditions.
Reservations in advance are highly encouraged to ensure availability. Call the Outdoor Recreation Center at +1 (907)361-6349 to make your reservation.
RV PARK Daily Price RV Site, H20/Electricity $30 RV Site, H20 Only $25 Tent Site $15 Pavilion $45
Glass Park RV Campground
Glass Park RV Campground offers electric and water hookups, and accommodates large RVs in a private setting. Picnic areas are available throughout Glass Park for day use.
Chena Cove Campground
Further upriver from Glass Park lies the more primitive Chena Cove Campground. This campground offers a quiet setting next to a small cove of the Chena River. Individual primitive RV and tent sites are scattered throughout the campground, with easy access to pavilions and primitive restrooms.
Access to showers and laundry for both campgrounds is available at the nearby Outdoor Recreation Center.
- Eagles Nest RV Storage
Eligible customers have access to the secured outdoor storage area, Eagles Nest, for storage of recreational vehicles such as campers, ATVs, boats, and motor homes. Please call ODR for current pricing.
10'x10' Storage: $40
12'x12' Storage: $45
14'x45' Storage: $50
Please stop by Outdoor Recreation or +1 (907)361-6350">call for a copy of our rental agreement and to answer any question that you may have.
- Warrior Adventure Quest
Warrior Adventure Quest is a centrally funded program designed to support and enhance greater Soldier/leader/unit cohesion, morale, and combat readiness, while contributing to mitigation and coping skill development, through the integration of outdoor high adventure activities.
The core of the WAQ program, is a one day adventure activity (ie, rock climbing, paintball, white water rafting, ice climbing) conducted by the local outdoor recreation staff. Please call +1(907) 361-2652">+1(907) 361-2652 or stop by to find out how to get your Unit enrolled!
- Women in the Wilderness
Fort Wainwright has an awesome program called Women in the Wilderness. In WIW, we take groups of ladies only out for our outdoor adventure programs, it's just a day for you to enjoy and relax. So call your girlfriends, bring your daughters, mothers, and sisters and join us for a day in nature powered by pure girl power!
- Winter Equipment Rates
Please call ODR for current pricing.
Winter rentals available between October 1 - June 1
Adult Ski or Snowboard Package
ski or snowboard, boots, helmet (13 & Up)
Junior Ski or Snowboard Package
ski or snowboard, boots, helmet (12 & Under)
Cross Country Ski Package
Adult Ski Boots
Junior Ski Boots
Winter Gear rentals are on a first come first serve basis. No Reservations
- Explore more of Alaska with Fort Greely
Fort Wainwright and Fort Greely work together to bring Outdoor experiences to our Service Members and their Families.
Check out the Fort Greely Outdoor Recreation Center for additional trips and equipment to check out.
The Outdoor Recreation Center is your one-stop shop for outdoor adventure, trips, equipment check-out, and fishing programs. Outdoor Recreation offers year-round trips to help the Fort Wainwright community get out of the gate and into the state.